Want to catch more fish during the post-spawn period? Bassmaster Elite Series Pro Seth Feider delivers the secrets to generating more bass bites during the post-spawn with a simple Texas-rigged craw around overhanging cover.
FEATURED TACKLE (retail links)
• PLASTIC – Z-Man Turbo CrawZ: https://wired2.fish/3V5mGjq
• HOOK – VMC RedLine Series Flippin’ Hook, 4/0: https://wired2.fish/3ZK1D75
• WEIGHT – VMC Tungsten Flipping Weight, 3/8-ounce: https://wired2.fish/41FzO1a
• ROD – Daiwa Casting Rod, 7’2″ Medium-Heavy: https://wired2.fish/40K4Kfn
• REEL – Daiwa Zillion SV TW Casting Reel, 7.1:1: https://wired2.fish/3Zpd9oX
• LINE (braided mainline) – Sufix 131 Braid, 40-pound: https://wired2.fish/3N9C0d2
• LINE (fluorocarbon leader) – Sufix Advance Fluorocarbon, 20-pound: https://wired2.fish/3jT4WGh
*additional links below*
The most important part of success on the water, especially in the spring, is determining which stage of the spawn the bass are in. Based on water temperature and other visuals, Feider concludes that fish on this particular lake are transitioning from the spawn to post-spawn, with bass still in both stages.
For post-spawn bass, Feider prefers to use a compact craw-style soft plastic on a Texas rig. The reason for using a Texas rig instead of a jig is because of its smaller profile. Feider states that fish just coming off of beds don’t often want to eat. A more compact profile can entice fish into biting that may not want a big meal. Feider likes a bit of action in his soft plastics. A little heavier than normal weight paired with a more aggressive craw like the Z-Man Turbo CrawZ can get the fish’s attention, a key factor when dealing with dirty water like in this lake.
Feider targets a little different cover during the post-spawn period. Once fish pull off beds, they immediately head for cover to recoup. Lily pads, docks, or in this case, overhanging trees and bushes provide the necessary shade for these burnt-out bass. By focusing on pockets and inside turns instead of your typical shoreline points, you will run into more bass during this tricky time of year.
CLOTHING (retail links)
• SHIRT – Simms Intruder Fishing Hoody: https://wired2.fish/3AO8WR7
• PANTS – Simms Superlight Pants: https://wired2.fish/3Axr15M
• GLOVES – Simms SolarFlex SunGloves: https://wired2.fish/41UjY2u
• MORE Simms GEAR: https://wired2.fish/448iCmW
► SUBSCRIBE for more AWESOME FISHING TIPS: https://wired2.fish/YTSub